Housing disrepair claims Stoke-on-Trent

If you live in a council or local housing association property in Stoke-on-Trent, or any other uk city we can assist you in claiming compensation from your landlord if the property you reside in has fallen into a state of disrepair. This is commonly known as filing a housing disrepair claim.

As we are NO WIN, NO FEE housing disrepair solicitors, the entire process is free of charge to you. Call us on 0333 050 8887 to start the process or fill in the form.

<p>Stoke-on-Trent housing disrepair solicitors</p>

Can you make a housing disrepair claim against the council?

The council is responsible for most repairs to your home, this includes things like small leaks as well as emergency repairs. If the council has failed to act on issues that you have notified them about, then you could be eligible to make a claim against them.

Making a claim could result in the court ordering the council to make a repair and you could even be awarded compensation.

You can claim compensation for various things including damage to your personal belongings, furnishings, clothes or other materials. You can also claim compensation for the damage that has been caused during repair work.

Living in a state of disrepair can have very serious effects on your health and wellbeing. If you have suffered from illness or injury as a result of the council’s failure to take action then you could also make a personal injury claim.

Can you make a housing disrepair claim against housing associations?

As a social housing tenant, you are entitled to a good standard of living. No matter what your housing association does or does not do, our disrepair in social housing solicitors can help you take action and get the repairs you need – as well as get you compensated for losses and suffering you have had to endure.

If you are experiencing any problems with your housing association, it is important that you take action as soon as possible. You can start by making a complaint to the association.

Essentially, a housing association must make sure that the dwellings it offers are in a reasonable condition and that disrepair issues, if any, are addressed promptly. Otherwise, the organization may be held liable and required to pay compensation for injuries caused by their actions or inaction.

Our housing disrepair professionals are sensitive to the physical, emotional, and financial strains that renting poor housing can have on tenants.

Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues?
If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

Instant Claim Calculator

Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

How much compensation can you get for housing disrepair in London?

Types of Damages

The amount of compensation owed to you in a Housing Disrepair Claim fall under two categories – general damages and special damages.

The rent you have paid during the time your property was in disrepair can be used as the basis for your compensation claim. You will be awarded a percentage of your rent that reflects the severity of the disrepair.

The actual percentage you receive depends on how uninhabitable the property was. If the property was completely uninhabitable, you would be compensated 100%. However, this is very rare and most claims range between 25% and 50% of the rent you paid.

What else is the landlord responsible for?

If your rented council home or housing association property has issues that have not been repaired find out if you are eligible to make a housing disrepair claim for property repair and compensation.

Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues?
If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

Instant Claim Calculator

Do landlords have to fix damp?

Yes, Landlords are often responsible for dealing with rising damp. This is because there’s an implied term in your tenancy agreement that says that it’s the landlord’s responsibility to keep the exterior and structure of your home in repair.

Can you claim compensation for mould?

Yes, if you are making a mould-related claim for an illness or injury caused by mould, your compensation payout could be worth tens of thousands of pounds. If your mould-related claim is successful, you can expect to receive two types of payout.

The first part of your mould compensation will be general damages. This is the largest payout, which compensates you for the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your illness.

How long can a landlord leave you without hot water or heating?

According to English law, your landlord is obligated to provide you with a dependable source of heating or hot water at all times. This means that as a tenant, you are entitled to have a central heating system or equipment for space heating in every room of the property that you occupy. The rented property should also have a working boiler for heating water.

Your landlord is responsible for maintaining the hot water and heating systems as well as appliances such as electric heaters that they have supplied. They must also ensure that these systems are kept in proper working order. If you experience any problems with your heating or hot water systems, your landlord must make the repairs and they must pay for said repairs and maintenance themselves.

Can you claim for a leaking roof?

Landlords have a responsibility to maintain and carry out repair work on the exterior and structure of their rented property, which includes water installations, heating systems, drains and external pipes, sanitary fittings, gas and electricity. This means that if there is a water leak in your rental property, the landlord is responsible for carrying out repairs.

They must also ensure that the property is safe and fit for human habitation. If water damage has resulted from a water leak, the landlord may also be responsible for repairing this damage.

In most cases, a landlord can’t end a tenancy until they have fixed the problem that they are responsible for. However, there may be times when you need to leave early. You might want to end your tenancy if you feel that although your home is safe and fit for human habitation, the landlord hasn’t fixed a problem which means it is no longer suitable for your family.

Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues?
If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

Instant Claim Calculator

Who is responsible for windows and doors in a rented property?

Landlords are responsible for exterior repairs to a rental property, including damage to doors and windows. This responsibility exists even if the rental agreement says that the tenant is responsible for repairs. Damaged or broken windows and doors can lead to many issues, including damp and mould, and can also be a safety risk.

Landlords should ensure that external windows and doors can close and that they are damp and draught-proof. They should fix any eroded sealants, broken door handles or locks, rotten window frames, faulty hinges or broken glass.

Can I make a housing disrepair claim for structural issues?

The law dictates that the landlord is responsible for most exterior and structural repairs to the rented property. This responsibility is outlined in Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. The Act covers all types of necessary repairs, including those to the structure and exterior of the property. In addition, landlords must keep their rental homes in a state that is fit for human habitation- this includes ensuring that any damage to the property is repaired without delay.

If there are any safety risks posed by deficiencies to the structure or exterior of the home, then it is the landlord’s responsibility to make the necessary repairs at their own cost. Although your tenancy agreement may state that you are responsible for some minor repairs, such as changing light bulbs, most structural repairs are still the landlord’s responsibility.

What is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair is when the condition of a rented house or flat, either through social housing or a private landlord, has deteriorated or changed negatively in comparison to the state of the dwelling at the time you moved in.

This can be damage or deterioration to the exterior that is connected to or forms part of the actual dwelling or interior of the house or flat, their structure and common parts in case of a building divided into flats. The lease outlines whose responsibility it is to maintain the place and failure to do so can result in a housing disrepair claim being made.

How can your disrepair solicitors help me?

You don’t have to reside in Stoke-on-Trent for our experts to assist you as we are a national law firm. Wherever you may live if you experience housing disrepair issues with your rental property, our solicitors can help you to understand your rights as a tenant and whether or not your landlord is responsible. We can also advise you on the best course of action to take, which should only be used as a last resort.

Our solicitors have extensive knowledge in housing disrepair cases and are passionate about helping tenants. We understand the importance of providing support and guidance during this difficult time and will do everything possible to help resolve the situation.

If you believe that your landlord is responsible for disrepair and you need legal support, we will help you to understand your rights as a tenant and the best course of action to take.

Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues?
If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

Instant Claim Calculator