Immigration Lawyers

If you are living in a council home, social housing or housing association property your landlord is required to ensure that your home is fit for human habitation and in proper working order.

Housing disrepair is when a rented property deteriorates or requires repairs so that it is safe and suitable to live in, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure a reasonable living standard is met.

Housing disrepair usually consists of the following issues:

  • mould or damp problems
  • pest infestations
  • leaks & water damage
  • broken heating systems
  • faulty electrical wiring
  • internal deterioration
  • damaged gutters, drains & pipes
  • structural issues
  • broken kitchen & bathroom fittings
Instant Claim Calculator

Frequently asked questions

All tenants have the right to a safe home. If your landlord fails to make repairs that they are responsible for you could be eligible to file a legal aid compensation claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss or nuisance. We will need to see a copy of the tenancy agreement including the tenancy conditions upon instruction.

The compensation that you could be entitled to depends on how severe your housing disrepair issue is and how long the poor conditions in the property have persisted. In most housing disrepair cases tenants could receive between 25 – 50% of the rent you have paid. Our housing solicitors can let you know how much compensation you could receive due to landlord negligence, get in touch with us to find out more.

Yes. Mould can cause many issues including damage to your belongings as well serious health issues that you can seek restitution for. If the mould in your rental property has occurred because of a repair issue then you can make a claim for disrepair. Our housing disrepair lawyers can help you to take legal action to get the compensation that you deserve.

The disrepair protocol is a series of steps that you must take before you make a claim against your landlord. They include attempting to find an Alternative Dispute Resolution, sending a letter of claim to your landlord and waiting a reasonable amount of time for a response from your landlord. It is very important that you follow the protocol correctly, our housing solicitors will ensure that all the pre court action steps for your potential claim are completed.

Yes, it is possible to sue your landlord for damp issues that continue to create poor housing conditions in your property. For example, if the damp has damaged your belongings, disrupted your daily life or has made you ill. We also assist with Wales housing disrepair claims

It is important to note that under no circumstances can a landlord legally evict a tenant for making a housing disrepair claim. Such eviction would be considered illegal and render the landlord liable to pay additional compensation. Please be advised that our services are available only to council and housing association tenants.

However, it should be noted that if you are a private renter and have outstanding rent, your landlord may consider instructing tenant eviction solicitors against you.