Who is responsible for electrical repairs in a rental home?

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that your home is safe to live in. As part of this responsibility, your landlord is responsible for maintenance and repairs of all electrical wiring and any electrical appliances that they provide in the property. Your landlord must make sure that electrical systems are safe and in good working order if they are not in good working order you can file a housing disrepair claim for compensation. 

Electrical problems are often serious hazards that pose a risk to your health and safety. The types of issues that your landlord is responsible for repairing include:

  • A faulty fuse box
  • Broken electrical appliances that they have provided
  • Exposed wires
  • Faulty electrical wiring
  • Issues with electrical outlets including loose power sockets, broken power socket covers and sparking power sockets
  • Power cuts in your rental property that are not affecting your neighbours

Tenant responsibilities for electrical issues

As a tenant, you still have certain responsibilities when it comes to electrical safety in your rented property.

Whilst your landlord is usually responsible for maintenance and repairs to electrical systems in your home, this responsibility will fall to you if you have caused damage to electrical equipment. You cannot be held liable for any electrical faults that have happened on their own whilst you have been properly using installations and appliance’s but you will be responsible for the cost of repair work if you have caused damage purposefully or accidentally.

Tenants are responsible for their own appliances and electrical equipment and may also have responsibilities for minor repairs, such as changing light bulbs. You should check your tenancy agreement for details about this.

It is also a tenant’s responsibility to report electrical faults to their landlords. Your landlord cannot be held responsible for an electrical problem if they are not aware of it so it is important that you inform them of the issue as soon as you can.

Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues? If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

Does my landlord need to do electrical safety checks?

Under the new Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations, landlords are legally required to carry out mandatory electrical safety checks of electrical installations in their rented properties at least every 5 years. The regulations came into effect in July 2020. Electrical installations must be safe and your landlord is required to be able to prove this to you.

Your landlord must arrange for a qualified inspector to check for any hazards. During an electrical safety check, all fixed electrical parts in the property should be inspected, this includes electrical wiring, plug sockets, fuse boxes and light fittings. Electrical appliances that can be moved around, such as white goods, kettles and toasters are not required to be checked although landlords are recommended to carry out PAT testing on these items.

After an inspection, the electrician will give your landlord an electrical installation condition report (EICR). If you are considering renting a new home then your landlord is obligated to provide you with a copy of the most recent electrical safety report within 28 days of your request.

The safety regulations apply to private tenants who pay rent for a property that is their only or main residence. It’s worth noting that the regulations for these safety standards only cover private tenants, not tenants of local councils or housing associations.

What else is the landlord responsible for? 

If your rented council home or housing association property has issues that have not been repaired find out if you are eligible to make a housing disrepair claim for property repair and compensation.

Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues? If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

Frequently asked questions

Under the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations, 2020 private landlords are required to get an electrical safety check every 5 years. The checks must be made by a registered electrician and there must be an inspection of all fixed electrical installations on the property.

A reasonable time will vary depending on how severe the repair issue is. For example, faulty electrical wiring is very dangerous and could pose a very serious risk to your safety, this means that your landlord should make repairs straight away, usually within 24 hours. This also applies to other issues that could damage health. However, for less severe issues your landlord does not need to act as quickly, although they should still make the repairs.

Electrical problems must be repaired by your landlord within a reasonable amount of time. Your landlord cannot make their own electrical repairs, they must have a qualified electrician to carry out any electrical work on their rental properties.

An electrical installation condition report (EICR) is a report given to your landlord after an electrical safety check. The report identifies any damage, deterioration or defects to electrical installations which are dangerous and is also gives recommendations for improvement. It is a legal requirement for your landlord to provide you with a copy of the most recent report if you ask for it.

We are National Housing Disrepair experts.

We cover thee whole of the UK, contact us via email, telephone or live chat.