Can i sue my landlord for emotional distress?

Many people believe that you cannot sue your landlord for emotional stress, but this is not the case. Your landlord has a duty of care to ensure that the living conditions in your rented home are safe.

If they fail to uphold their responsibility of care and as a result cause you emotional suffering as a result of unsafe living conditions, you have the right to take legal action against them, there are many avenues you can take but we would say suing for emotional distress would be included in your housing disrepair claim.

Typically, emotional distress claims are complex in nature because there is typically less physical evidence available than with other types of abuse claims. Emotional stress, on the other hand, may be extremely harmful; and cases should be filed to ensure that the victim receives compensation.


Are you a Council or Housing association Tenant with housing disrepair issues?
If so we can help you claim compensation on a NO Win, NO Fee basis.

What does emotional distress consist of?

Emotional distress covers a range of negative feelings, the below is not an exhaustive list but gives an indication. The term encompasses a wide range of symptoms, but its hallmarks are the symptoms of depression and anxiety. People can experience it at any time, and it is usually temporary.

  • Lack of sleep
  • Anxiety and depression
  • Humiliation
  • Fear or terror
  • Negligence
  • Fatigue
  • Experiencing unusual anger or irritability
  • By-product feelings linked to physical harm

What Else Is The Landlord Responsible For?

If your rented council home or housing association property has issues that have not been repaired find out if you are eligible to make a housing disrepair claim for property repair and compensation.

Speak to one of our housing disrepair experts to see if you are eligible to claim compensation