What is housing disrepair?

If you are living in a council home, social housing or housing association property your landlord is required to ensure that your home is fit for human habitation and in proper working order.

Housing disrepair is when a rented property deteriorates or requires repairs so that it is safe and suitable to live in, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure a reasonable living standard is met.

Housing disrepair usually consists of the following issues:

  • mould or damp problems
  • pest infestations
  • leaks & water damage
  • broken heating systems
  • faulty electrical wiring
  • internal deterioration
  • damaged gutters, drains & pipes
  • structural issues
  • broken kitchen & bathroom fittings

Instant Claim Calculator

Find out exactly how much your housing disrepair claim is worth in a few clicks! The value of your claim will be displayed on-screen & emailed to you.

Client Testimonials

Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

Frequently asked questions

The calculation of compensation in the UK for housing disrepair can be complex, and it is important to seek legal advice to ensure you receive the full amount to which you are entitled. The percentage of compensation you will be awarded for a property in disrepair depends on the severity of the damage. A property that is uninhabitable will result in 100% compensation, but this is very rare. Normally, compensation ranges between 25% and 50% of the rent of the property.

If you are a tenant and the property you are renting falls into disrepair, you may have a disrepair claim against your landlord. If your landlord has failed to repair faults or not kept the house in good condition, you may find that your home becomes damaged. As a tenant, it is important that you understand your rights and what to do if your landlord does not keep the property in a good condition. If you are experiencing problems with your property, our team of experts can help. We offer free initial advice so please get in touch for more information.